"It's like the mafia. Once you're in - your in. There's no getting out."
PORTUGAL ALGARVEHey, hey, hey!
It has been such a journey for me! So I want to share even the minimum I know about Surfing in Portugal- Algarve!
Here are my few Tips ;)
First RENT A CAR! Fuel costs around 1 eur for a litre. But there are some petrol stations that are way more cheaper than others- pay attention!
As we were living in Armacao De Pera. Around 30-40 minute drive from Faro and each day going to surf to different spots- were the waves were the best it was curtail to have a car.
We never went to surf on our beach that was like 10 minutes walk away from our house.
We rented our surfboards in Lagos- JAH SHAKA Surf Centre really cool place
Follow JahShakaSurf on INSTAGRAM FACEBOOK and TWITTER
(Take the insurance as well- costs around 24 eur, as If you brake your board even in pieces you will be safe. If no insurance- well that will cost you quite a bit.)
I did brake a fin and had an insurance so I was covered. YAY
The best surfing I had was in Portimao - as well the city is damn beautiful. There are a long beach, full with beach bars, cafes and shops. If you are looking for party - this will be here. In Portimao- there are quite a few places where to rent surfboards and wet suits as well- but remember it will be more expensive.
The beaches I visited:
- Portimao - Praia Da Rocha, loved this one the most,
- Praia Do Porto De Mos - nice place, with quite good seafood restaurant that has an ocean view
- Tonel in Algarve - Didn't surf
- Praia Casteljo - went there for 3 or 4 times
- Beliche- didn't surf
- Zavial - didn't surf
- Praia Di Cordama
- Praia da Bordeira - couldn't get in the water as waves were too big for a beginner ;(
Must eat at place in Armaco De Pera is ZE LEITEIRO - amazing place -only seafood, no coffee, no menu. You sit, they bring you different seafood till you are full and say stop. Not expensive at all- was full when we came, and the next time we went there - we couldn't spot a single free chair.
* For a lovely drinks and some food in Portimao- visit NO SOLO AGUA Beach club- located just almost in ocean :)
* Seafood at shops are really cheep- if you're staying somewhere with a kitchen I suggest to cook at home. Will be way more cheeper and more delicious.
* Coffee + pastéis de nata at Pingo Doce costs only 1eur
* Best Portugal vine - Vinho Verde Cascal Garcia ( good wine is cheep 3-5 eur)
BIG THANKS GOES TO Freedom Routes. You make awesome trips!
Now I am looking for new Surf spots in Portugal and found this lovely place- I think one day I will give it a go!
HERE IS A VIDEO I TOOK with my Phone :D But still some memories !